Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

February 14th has always been one of my favorite days of the year.  The color pink is everywhere, chocolate can be found in abundance, the greeting card aisle is filled with cheesy poetic expressions of love and there are stuffed animals who sing and dance to classic tunes from the eighties.  These are all pretty exciting things in my book!  I've got to admit that I have never had a "traditional Valentine"... you know, a beau.  I like to think that fact simply gives me more time and energy to use this special, albeit commercialized and quite possibly completely fabricated, holiday to express my love to the people who mean the most in my life. 

This year my Valentine's celebration was really special. My church means the world to me, especially the children that God has placed there.  I feel unbelievably blessed to be able to teach a Sunday School class of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders.  This Sunday we had a decorate-your-own-cupcake contest and it was so much fun!  We continued the celebration in Children's Church where we talked about what true love really is.  We read 1 Corinthians 13, "the love chapter", and discussed God's love for us through the ultimate sacrifice of His son.  I pray that they realize how much God loves each one of them!  After talking about ways we could show God's love to others, the children chose people to make Valentine cards for.  It was a really special time!

After church my sister and brother-in-law and I went to my Grandma's house in Fayetteville.  Grandma cooks an amazing dinner each week for her daughters and their families.  It's my favorite family tradition.  My mom threw the kids (and the single, adult cousins... haha!) a party to celebrate Valentine's Day.  She did this for every holiday as the grandkids were growing up... another great family tradition!  We left just in time to make it back for a Valentine dinner youth fundraiser at church.  Such a nice evening to end a great day.

Obviously Sunday wasn't February 14th, but it was a great way to celebrate the holiday.  After work on Monday I headed to the house of some of my favorite people.  They are truly an example of what love should look like and I'm so thankful to have them in my life!  It was a perfect weekend and Valentine's Day.  Whether I have a "Valentine" in my life or not, I know I have something infinitely better... a Saviour who gave His life for me.  No amount of pink, chocolate, mushy cards, or singing animals could come close to such an amazing gift!

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment