Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

One of my purposes in starting a blog was to keep a sort of journal because I think it will be neat to look back in years to come and see how I spent my time.  So, with that in mind, I'd like to recap my weekend... a couple of days after the fact.  Last week I looked so forward to Friday (even more so than usual) because I knew my nephew was coming to spend the night with me.  I know I say it often, but my nephew and niece are the greatest blessings in my life.  Catherine and I had already made plans for an evening in Fort Smith and I figured Isaac might enjoy spending time with both his aunts so we made a fun time of going to Lifeway to buy our VBS material (soooo excited to begin working on that!) and to Sam's to do a bit of shopping.  At one point as we were driving, we asked Isaac what he would like for his upcoming birthday.  He quickly replied, "This."  He went on to explain that all he wanted was to spend some one-on-one time with his aunts.  The fact that I matter in this precious child's life is something that I never want to take for granted.  There were definitely some misty eyes at his little statement!  After shopping we bought a pizza and some soda and headed back to Uncle Smitty and Aunt Catherine's to play their Wii.  Wow, my 7 year old nephew schooled me on that thing and it was embarrassing.  But it was worth it for all the fun he had.  We stayed at their place till midnight!  When we finally made it home, we quickly changed into our pj's and started a movie.  Isaac was out in no time and I wasn't far behind.

Saturday we slept in till 8.  I fixed waffles and eggs while we watched cartoons.  After that we got ready to see Gnomeo and Juliet.  It was absolutely adorable and the music was great!  As soon as the movie was over, we hurried over to Alma to a birthday party for a church friend who was turning the big 5-0.  I figured we might stay thirty minutes, an hour tops, but we ended up staying the entire afternoon.  I got to spend the party playing outside with some really cool kids.  It was a lot of fun and a great day for it!  I'm so thankful for the friends and fellowship opportunities God has placed in my life!  After we left the party it was time to take Isaac home.  Catherine rode along as we headed to Mulberry.  When we got there, Mindy and Stephen mentioned they were planning a bonfire and weenie roast for the evening and since Mom and Dad were at my place (to bring me Krispy Kreme donuts for my Sunday School class... aren't they awesome?!), we decided to turn it into a family affair.  I hadn't had a hot dog cooked over an open flame in quite a while.  It was such a treat of an evening!  I went to bed Saturday night reflecting on what a great weekend it had already been and amazed at the fact there was still a full day before beginning another work week.

Unfortunately, even though my alarm was set, I didn't wake up until 8:37 Sunday morning.  I blame this completely on my new iPhone and I'm not sure I've forgiven it yet... my Blackberry alarm never failed me!  Anyway, when I was finally awake and aware of the time, I panicked.  Thankfully I have a pretty great sister who covered my Sunday School class until I could make it.  It was an important Sunday, too.  I've been promising my kids that when they reached 100 points on their reward chart, we'd have a big celebration (hence the Krispy Kreme donuts from the amazing Ma and Pa).  Well, I made it just in time for them to eat their donuts and have their juice while teaching a highly condensed version of our lesson on Zacchaeus.  We will continue the celebration next week... if my alarm decides to work.  Haha!  The service was a sweet time of worship and God spoke conviction to me through the message.  I'm so glad the morning ended much better than it began!  Instead of driving to Fayetteville, I stayed home and took a long nap before evening service.  I'm glad I did because I ended up keeping some fairly active children that night.  I love how the Lord keeps confirming some things He's doing in my life right now.  I'm so thankful that He is sovereign and has a plan for my future!  After church I came home and watched the tail end of the Academy Awards so I could catch a glimpse of Mr. Darcy... or Colin Firth as some might call him :)

These were such lovely days.  Since then, the week has gotten a little crazy and it has been nice to reflect on all the good things in my life.  Last night I did go see The King's Speech and it was as good as I could have imagined.  It left me weeping happy tears and that is always a sign of a great movie in my book!  Tonight has been wonderful, as well.  I spent the evening at Jeff and Catherine's.  I'm so thankful for them and the encouragement they always give me.  Now, I'm ready for whatever the rest of the week may hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment